Friday, November 2

Grow, Cook, Eat!

Grow Cook Eat by Fiona InglisGrow Cook Eat by Fiona InglisGrow Cook Eat by Fiona InglisGrow Cook Eat by Fiona InglisGrow Cook Eat by Fiona InglisGrow Cook Eat by Fiona InglisGrow Cook Eat by Fiona InglisGrow Cook Eat by Fiona Inglis Grow Cook Eat by Fiona InglisGrow Cook Eat by Fiona InglisGrow Cook Eat by Fiona InglisGrow Cook Eat by Fiona InglisGrow Cook Eat by Fiona InglisGrow Cook Eat by Fiona InglisGrow Cook Eat by Fiona InglisGrow Cook Eat by Fiona InglisGrow Cook Eat by Fiona InglisGrow Cook Eat by Fiona InglisGrow Cook Eat by Fiona Inglis It's out! It's out! It's out!!! Before I even go on, I'd like to say first, please pardon my excitement and overuse of exclamation marks that you'll see appear in this post. I am just way too excited, I cannot absolutely contain it! So hooooray! For once, exclamation marks will be used, over-used, but who cares! I illustrated a cookbook! And that my friends, deserves a gazillion bazillion exclamation marks!

So, back down to earth, I worked hard through last December and January this year for a super top secret project - Illustrations for a cookbook! I was approached by the lovely people from Murdoch Books late last September, or maybe it was October. I nearly fainted when I received the email asking if I was keen to illustrate a cookbook. For those of you who know me, I've always dreamt of illustrating a cookbook. It's pretty much my #1 career goal in terms of being an illustrator. So without a doubt, I agreed and before I knew it, I was handed a big chunky brief and the once in a lifetime opportunity to illustrate a cookbook for the super cute Fiona Inglis!

I first knew about Fiona, while watching her on Masterchef Season 2. Back then, she was already one of my favourites. A teacher, an 'artist', I admired her for having the passion to teach kiddies her craft. Fast forward years later, I've now collaborated with Fiona and the end result, we have a cute cookbook for kiddos! I'd happily go on and on and on about how easy the recipes in Fiona's book are. How cute the photos are, the wonderful job the book designer did, placing all my illustrations and making everything come together... the list goes on! But yes, I should save the best bits for you to discover in person. I've only posted several images, the cookbook comes with so many more great recipes and more illustrations dotted all over!

I want to say a huge thank you to Murdoch and Fiona for picking me(of all people!), to Jeremy of Jacky Winter for all the great advice, to my parents, little sister, for going about hearing me whine and see me in 100% full-blown panic mode while getting 100 over illustrations ready for scanning, for Kenneth and his life-saving photoshop advice, for Darren cause he always keeps me calm, to all my friends and you guys for always believing in me and of course, thank you God for this wonderful opportunity. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

So, if you're after easy peasy recipes, ones that are great not only for kiddos but also for adults, head on down to your nearest bookstore to grab yourself a copy of Grow, Cook, Eat! I spotted copies at Myer, Bourke Street the other day. I had to pinch myself and check if I was dreaming. A cookbook! A real, touchable, feel-able, hold-able, smell-able cookbook!!! I still can't quite believe it myself! Is this even real?! Or am I dreaming???!!!!

16 comments:

  1. Wow, congrats!! I am in the US, and it looks like it is up for pre-order on Amazon - very cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work!, Deserves all the exclamation marks. I love the look of the book with your beautiful illustrations, I want to have it!. Congratulations!

    Greetings from Chile! (Sorry my english)

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations Dawn, the illustrations make the book look fantastic! well done. Your work is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Congrats Dawn... that is AMAZING. So happy for you!
    I especially like that word CHILL... I think I need to do that now.
    Beautiful beautiful beautiful! I love cookbooks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMAZING!!!!! It looks so cute Dawn! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Dawn! It looks absolutely amazing. I knew it was only a matter of time before you illustrated a cookbook and this looks perfect! So exciting to see your sneak peek pages. I'm going to have to put this on my list to Santa ;) Yay for you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Awesome. I'm definitely getting a copy, which I may share with my niece when she's old enough!

    Wonderful. I liked teacher Fiona on TV too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I counted 31 !s. That's normal lol. Congratulations on this great achievement! Love your watercolour work, and the book illustrations really tops the book off. I especially like the background/textile-like patterns; so cool! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is amazing!!!!! Congratulations Dawn, you deserve it!! :) Can't wait to see the book in the pulp! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. GREAT!!


    -fashion illustration for your blog-

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that is super, super, super, super fantastic news! Massive congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such lovely work! Your excitement about this book is contagious. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  13. absolutely love the look of this dawn well done!! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. congratulations dawn this book looks adorable and i think it is really lovely that both you and fiona have been able to bring your talents together on this book for kids. knowing that you both love to teach children it seems so fitting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. belated congrats - the illustrations look gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The book looks beautiful :) well done to you!

    ReplyDelete